This Week in DC Reviews - June 2, 2006 Archives
This Week in DC Reviews - June 2, 2006
Periodically, we will publish This Week in DC Reviews, a roundup of reviews of DC-area restaurants, with quick links to DC-area restaurant reviews and mentions from the previous seven days in blogs, magazines, and newspapers.
-- Julia Child
To see a list of upcoming food events in the DC area, see "Washington, D.C. Wine Tasting, Dinners, Food/Drink Events."
For a Guide to restaurants in the DC area, see Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide. For a roundup of New York City restaurant reviews from NYC food bloggers and media, see This Week in NYC Reviews at A Guy In New York.
- a capitol life says Taqueria Distrito Federal is "the real deal. Each taco consists of two corn tortillas topped with meat, a fresh mash of onion and cilantro, wedges of avocado, a squeeze of lime, some hot sauce and cooling slices of cucumber and radish." ... 3463 14th Street NW, 202-276-7331 [Columbia Heights News | WaPo | Don Rockwell]
- Polytropos hadn't been to the Brickskeller for 5 years and writes: "the food disappointed. Neither the cheese plate, nor the pizza, nor the Brickburger measured up to our cherished memories of past visits." ... (previous review: dcfud (TWIR, March 10, 2006)) ... web site, 1523 22nd Street NW, 202-293-1885 [Washingtonian | WaPo | City Paper | Don Rockwell | openlist]
- Hobnob Blog likes the chicken burritos from Burrito Express, the green taco tuck at Gunston ...
- Scott Haring had to review Pachanga Grill because "an uncanny number of people have referred to the good food and casual atmosphere" ... "The big standouts at Pachanga are the house specialty entrees ... Frutas del mar ... Chicken mole ... Carne asada" ... 8395 Piney Orchard Pkwy, Odenton, MD, in the Academy Junction mall, 410-551-9318 [openlist | Citysearch | Yelp]
- Tom Sietsema gave 2 1/2 stars to Ardeo ... "The chef's restraint means a diner can really taste the roast chicken, moistened with a winy stock flavored with lemon thyme." ... "There are moments, fortunately few, when Ardeo's dishes resemble those of a lot of other restaurants: just okay. Such as the time I order a hamburger and get french fries that taste as if they came straight off a Sysco food truck." ... web site (Flash), 3311 Connecticut Avenue NW, 202-244-6750 [Washingtonian | City Paper | Don Rockwell | openlist | Yelp | Gayot]
- Suburban Tasteland says the chorizo taco at San Vicente "was everything we hoped it would be" ... "this chorizo was finely chopped and had just the right amount of grease to let you know you're still dealing with chorizo - but not so much grease that you know you'll be lamenting your decision later" ... 2599 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA, 703-920-1130
- metrocurean declares that the best boiled peanuts "are best purchased from the back of an old man's pick-up truck" ...
- Le Cuvee Americain: The American Blend reviews a few ... Thai Place: the "roasted duck salad [was] particularly good, having lots of shredded roasted duck, sliced strips of red onion, and shredded cabbage all in a spicy dressing" ... 2134 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 202-298-8204 [WaPo | City Paper] ... and American City Diner: "a 24-hour a day place" ... "the chicken-fried steak [was] surprisingly good" ... web site, 5532 Connecticut Avenue NW, 202-244-1949 [City Paper | openlist | Gayot]
- Alex MacLennan says "There are no curlicues or fripperies" at Fogo de Chao ... loved the "cheese rolls -- a criminally savory mixture of two yucca flours and parmesan" ... "Fraldinha, or bottom filet [has] an almost fajita-like texture and flavor" ... "The hank of boneless Costela (beef ribs), was heavenly. Impossibly tender, richly flavorful beef with a crisp outer layer and deep rewardingly solid beef taste." ... but "the sheer abundance can be a bit stressful" ... (previous reviews: D.C. Foodies (TWIR, March 24, 2006), Tom Sietsema (TWIR, March 3, 2006), metrocurean (TWIR, January 20, 2006), Tom Sietsema (TWIR, December 16, 2005)) ... web site, 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 202-347-4668 [City Paper | Wash Times | The Hill | Yelp | Don Rockwell]
- dcfud warns you to be careful of the steps at The Boulevard Woodgrill ... web site, 2901 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA, 703-875-9663 [Washingtonian | WaPo | City Paper | openlist | Citysearch | Gayot] ... also likes the brunch at Caribbean Breeze ... web site, 4100 N. Fairfax Drive, at Randolph Street, Arlington, VA, 703-812-7997 [WaPo | City Paper | Gayot]
- D.C. Foodies recommends the jerk chicken sandwich at Negrils ... "The sandwich is fairly large, so it's enough by itself for lunch." ... web site, 18509 N. Frederick Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD, 301-926-7220 [Tyler Cowen | Washingtonian | WaPo | City Paper | openlist | Yelp | Gayot]
Did we miss your favorite DC restaurant review?
Let us know: hobnobblog -at- gmail.com ... we're especially interested in hearing from DC bloggers ...
Technorati Tags: washington, dc, washington-dc, restaurants, restaurant reviews, this week in reviews, week in reviews
June 2, 2006 09:03 AM Dining
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference This Week in DC Reviews - June 2, 2006:
» This Week in DC Reviews - June 9, 2006 from Hobnobblog
This Week in DC Reviews is a roundup of reviews of DC-area restaurants, with quick links to DC-area restaurant reviews and mentions from the previous seven days in blogs, magazines, and newspapers. "The pleasures of the table, and of life,... [Read More]