This Week in DC Reviews - July 7, 2006 Archives
This Week in DC Reviews - July 7, 2006
This Week in DC Reviews is a roundup of reviews of DC-area restaurants, with quick links to DC-area restaurant reviews and mentions from the previous seven days in blogs, magazines, and newspapers.
To see a list of upcoming food events in the DC area, see "Washington, D.C. Wine Tasting, Dinners, Food/Drink Events."
For a Guide to restaurants in the DC area, see Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide. For a roundup of New York City restaurant reviews from NYC food bloggers and media, see This Week in NYC Reviews at A Guy In New York.
- DC Food Blog has a no-longer-secret love for what they call their "Brenda Walshes" ... Olive Garden ... Sonic ... Buca de Beppo ... Denny's ... PF Chang's/Pei Wei ... the food may not be great, but, unless you're a misanthrope, you can not go to Buca with a crowd and have a bad time ...
- Bethesda Rookie loves Picasso Restaurant & Tapas Bar ... "personal favorite is the Platanos Relleno, fried plantain stuffed with shredded beef and melted cheese. The Quesadillas, Camarones al Ajo, Carnitas and Tamales are all quite good" ... 4918 Del Ray Avenue, Bethesda, 301-986-0606 [Downtown Bethesda | MenuPix]
- Tyler Cowen added 2 places to his favorites this week ... says Soo Rah is one of the best Korean places in Annandale ... "Get the most expensive of the set menus for a treat. This will involve casseroles, ribs, dumplings, fish, egg dishes, steamed tofu, blue crabs, and the usual medley of Korean vegetables. The casseroles are to be recommended more generally" ... 7601 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, VA, 703-658-0508 [Tyler Cowen] ... and declares Rasika "is one of the best places in DC, although given its trendy nature, I expect it to decline with a year or two" ... "The best dish is the spinach (somewhat fried or frittered), with corn; better than it sounds. The way to go here is to order starters, chats, appetizers, etc." ... web site (Flash), 633 D Street NW, near MCI Center, 202-637-1222 [Tyler Cowen]
- food-plan rated Rasika a 7 ... "For the main course we ordered Lamb Rojanjosh. This was the real deal, unlike the connaught place lamb dahiwala masquerading as rogan josh. Tamatar fish was excellent, dal makhni was outstanding, the palak paneer, not so good. In fact, I’d rate it as atrocious" ...
- Gabriella Boston thinks Pinzimini needs to use more garlic ... "Among pastas, we liked the black linguine with shrimps, scallops and calamari. The seafood was perfectly prepared and the pasta fresh. The tomato-based sauce, however, was uninspired. Maybe a little more garlic to spice things up?" ... it's hard to use too much garlic ... web site, 801 North Glebe Road, Arlington, VA, in the Westin Arlington Gateway, 703-537-4200 [MenuPages | WaPo]
- You Gonna Eat All That? says the pupusas at Abi's Restaurant "are very good" ... 5838-B North Kings Highway, Alexandria, VA, in Huntington Station across from the Huntington Metro stop, 703-317-0548
- Tom Sietsema gave 2 stars to Praline Bakery & Restaurant ... "Be sure to order any dish that comes with a crust. If you've experienced a chicken potpie only from the freezer case of a grocery store, Praline's version will be a revelation." ... 4611 Sangamore Road, Bethesda, MD, in the Shoppes at Sumner Place near Sibley Memorial Hospital, 301-229-8180 [City Paper]
- DC Chefs added a profile of Michel Richard of Citronelle ... "God made me to laugh." ... 3000 M Street NW, Washington, DC, 202-625-2150 [Tyler Cowen]
- D.C. Foodie "couldn't get enough of the cellophane noodles, which came out very hearty and full of the flavor of the pork and whatever liquid they were cooked in" at Joe's Noodle House ... web site, 1488-C Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD, 301-881-5518 [Tyler Cowen]
- Judith Weinraub says it's worth the trip for "Popcorn Shrimp and Calamari ($8), served with cayenne remoulade sauce" at Hank's Oyster Bar, 1624 Q Street NW, 202-462-4265 [Tyler Cowen]
- Tom Sietsema has "Seven great places to grab a sandwich" ... Breadline, web site, 1751 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 202-822-8900 [Tyler Cowen] ... Cuba de Ayer, 15466 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville, MD, 301-476-9622 [Tyler Cowen] ... Deli City, 2200 Bladensburg Road NE, 202-526-1800 [Washingtonian | City Paper | Don Rockwell] ... Galileo, web site, 1110 21st Street NW, 202-293-7191 [Washingtonian | NYT | City Paper | Don Rockwell | openlist | Citysearch | Gayot] ... Lebanese Butcher, 109 East Annandale Rd. at Annandale and Rt.29, Falls Church, VA, 703-241-2012 [Tyler Cowen] ... Malaysia Kopitiam, 1827 M Street NW, 202-833-6232 ... Nhu Lan, web site, 6763 Wilson Blvd., # 14, Falls Church, VA, on the interior of Eden Center, a very small place, 703-532-9009 [Tyler Cowen]
Did we miss your favorite DC restaurant review?
Let us know: hobnobblog -at- gmail.com ... we're especially interested in hearing from DC bloggers ...
Technorati Tags: washington, dc, washington-dc, restaurants, restaurant reviews, this week in reviews, week in reviews
July 7, 2006 09:07 AM Dining