Faculty Favorites: Dining and Places - Judy Schneider Archives
Faculty Favorites: Dining and Places - Judy Schneider
We asked our faculty and authors to share with us some of their favorite things about living in our nation's capital. Their responses are posted in "Faculty Favorites"
Places to Visit
- I think the Franciscan Monastery and National Cathedral are two of the under-visited treasures in DC. I have been visiting the cathedral regularly since 1968, but only discovered the Franciscan monastery last year.
- Most restaurants I frequent are in the suburbs, but if someone else is paying in DC I think Oceanaire and Chef Geoff's are both terrific, but pricey.
- For less expensive and different type meals, there are some terrific small ethnic restaurants in Adams Morgan and Wheaton, MD (near the Wheaton Metro), the ethnic food capitol in the area. However, it should be noted that all of these restaurants are small local establishments with very limited ambiance.
- I love Chinese food and I think Hollywood East has surpassed Good Fortune, in part because the former does Cantonese, although both are good for dim sum. Hollywood East, 2312 Price Avenue, Wheaton, MD, 301-942-8282 [TCEDG]. Good Fortune, 2646 University Blvd W, Silver Spring, MD, 301-929-8818 [Yelp]
- El Pollo Rico has great Latin American. 2541 Ennalls Avenue, Wheaton, MD, 301-942-4419 [Yelp]
- Los Chorros has great Mexican. 2420 Blueridge Avenue, Silver Spring, MD, 301-933-1066 [Yelp | openlist]
- Max's Cafe has the best corned beef and kosher deli food in the the area. 2319 University Blvd W, Silver Spring, MD, 301-949-6297 [openlist].
- Ferdinands has the best Italian food. 11300 Fern Street, Silver Spring, MD, 301-949-1917 [Washingtonian]
- Fun things revolve around golf, especially discovering new courses and there are many in the DC area. [A Guide to Washington area golf, from the Washington Post]
- I love Harper's Ferry, West Virginia and it is not far from Washington. [harpersferrywv.net | Wikipedia]
- I also love to gamble and everyone knows that Charles Town, West Virginia is 5 minutes from Harpers Ferry and 62 miles from my house. Charles Town Races & Slots, web site, 580 E 5th Avenue, Ranson, WV
- I also love baseball and frequent both RFK and Camden Yards as often as I can, especially if my beloved Yankees are in town. Washington Nationals web site. Baltimore Orioles web site [Sports in DC - from TheCapitol.Net]
- Finally, live theater, both in large venues like Kennedy Center, and smaller regional theaters is terrific in the DC area. [Song, Dance, and Theater in DC - from TheCapitol.Net | Theater & Dance - from The Washington Post | Washington, DC Theater - from DC Registry]
For more, also see our Visiting Washington DC pages