Faculty Favorites: Dining and Places - Jim Bayless Archives
Faculty Favorites: Dining and Places - Jim Bayless
We asked our faculty and authors to share with us some of their favorite things about living in our nation's capital. Their responses are posted in "Faculty Favorites"
Jim Bayless (bio), a veteran legislative and regulatory attorney who has lived in Washington for more than 25 years, shares his favorites.
Interesting Places to Visit
- Arlington National Cemetery, web site, map (located just beyond the western end of the Memorial Bridge; the Lincoln Memorial is located at the eastern end of Arlington Memorial Bridge)
- Dumbarton Oaks, web site, 1703 32nd Street NW, Washington, DC, 202-339-6401
- International Spy Museum, web site, 800 F Street NW, Washington, DC, 202-393-7798
- Hillwood Museum and Gardens, web site, 4155 Linnean Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 202-686-5807
- Great Falls National Park, especially after a rain with rapids in the Potomac River. web site, 9200 Old Dominion Drive, McLean, VA
Fun Things to Do
- Jogging along monuments on Mall and on the Mt. Vernon Trail along the Potomac River by Arlington National Cemetery, The National Mall, web site, map. Mt. Vernon Trail, info and map.
- Evening Parade at U.S. Marine Corps Barracks (Friday nights, summer, generally requires a reservation), web site, park at Maritime Plaza and take shuttle, 1201 M Street SE, Washington, DC
- Witness arrivals of Marine One (presidential helicopter) on the South Lawn of the White House. See the Ellipse, map
- La Chaumiere (Georgetown), web site, 2813 M Street NW, Washington, DC, 202-338-1784 [TCEDG | openlist | Yelp]
- The Prime Rib (downtown), web site, 2020 K Street NW, Washington, DC, 202-466-8811 [WaPo | Don Rockwell | openlist | Yelp]
- Le Mistral (McLean, VA), web site, 6641 Old Dominion Drive, McLean, VA, 703-748-4888 [WaPo | MenuPages | Yelp]
For more, also see our Visiting Washington DC pages