News coverage in the Washington media can make or break public policy initiatives, lobbyists, and even the careers of politicians–and it’s different from news coverage in other markets. This training can help you be successful in this critical arena.
Media Relations for Public Affairs Professionals: How to develop a message, press release, media kit, and communications plan to attract Washington beat journalists. Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the DC Bar Conference Center. http://www.thecapitol.net/PublicPrograms/mediaI.html
- Build your comprehensive strategic communications plan from scratch
- Learn the fundamentals of creating media-sexy news releases, press kits, and other materials
- Get a handle on crisis communication–before you need it
Advanced Media Relations, for those with at least three years experience: Best practices for developing creative pitches, preparing for interviews, and developing media strategies that advance your organization’s public policy objectives. Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Goethe-Institut. http://www.thecapitol.net/PublicPrograms/mediaII.html
- Learn and implement advanced Internet and offline strategies that bring you more coverage
- Shape your media spokespeople and key leaders to be effective, on-message, and welcomed by the press–to be neither a “media mouse” nor a “media hog”
- Leverage the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) to ensure better coverage
The seminars are organized by TheCapitol.Net, the exclusive provider of Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences. All faculty for both programs are subject matter experts on media, with at least 10 years experience.
Each program is approved for .7 CEU credits from George Mason University. The registration fee includes all course materials and a networking lunch. To preserve the small-group, hands-on atmosphere, seating is limited. To register, learn more, get the address and directions, or view the complete agenda, please visit the URLs listed with each course or call TheCapitol.Net directly at 703-739-3790.