Article. I. (The Legislative Branch)
Section. 6. (Compensation)
The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.
No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.
FBI Video Shows Jefferson Accepting 100K
- Pocket Constitution
- Pay and Perquisites of Members of Congress
- CRS Annotated Constitution, LII
- Heritage Guide to the Constitution
- The Constitution of the United States: A Transcription – The National Archives
- United States Constitution: Texts, Commentaries, Historical Texts and Judicial Decisions – Law Library of Congress
- The Constitution of the United States of America: Analysis and Interpretation – FDsys
- Constitution of the United States of America: Analysis and Interpretation, Govinfo.gov
- “Federalism and the Constitution: Limits on Congressional Power,” CRS Report RL30315 (31-page PDF)
- “The seven stages of the office seeker“
- “Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Officials: Process for Adjusting Pay and Current Salaries,” CRS Report RL33245 (24-page PDF)
- Section 6: Compensation, privilege, restriction on holding civil office – Wikipedia
- Section 6. Rights and Disabilities of Members – Findlaw
- Constitutional Law Reporter
- “Landlord and Tenant: The Trump Administration’s Oversight of the Trump International Hotel Lease,” CRS Testimony by Michael A. Foster, CRS Legislative Attorney, September 25, 2019 (19-page PDF)
- “The Emoluments Clauses of the U.S. Constitution,” CRS inFocus IF11086 (5-page PDF)
David Hawkings’ Whiteboard: How Much Do Lawmakers Get Paid?
TPA President David Williams talks with Capital Insider about Congressional compensation
A free download of our Pocket Constitution is available on Scribd.
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom Training
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™