Account / Appropriation Account
photo credit: kenteegardin
Hearing: Environmental Protection Agency Budget
Account: A separate financial reporting unit for budget, management, and/or accounting purposes. All budgetary transactions are recorded in accounts, but not all accounts are budgetary in nature. Some accounts do not directly affect the budget but are used purely for accounting purposes. Budget accounts are used to record all transfers within the budget, whereas other accounts (such as deposit fund, credit financing, and foreign currency accounts) are used for accounting purposes connected with funds that are nonbudgetary in nature. The Office of Management and Budget (OMB), in consultation with the Department of the Treasury (Treasury), assigns account identification codes reflecting appropriations as enacted in appropriations laws. Treasury establishes and maintains a system of accounts that provides the basic structure for the U.S. Standard General Ledger Chart of Accounts.
Army Budget Director Briefs Media on FY2018 Budget Proposal
Appropriation Account: The basic unit of an appropriation generally reflecting each unnumbered paragraph in an appropriation act. An appropriation account typically encompasses a number of activities or projects and may be subject to restrictions or conditions applicable to only the account, the appropriation act, titles within an appropriation act, other appropriation acts, or the government as a whole. An earmark is an amount set aside within an appropriation account for a specified purpose. A shift of budgetary resources from one appropriation account to another, as authorized by law, is a “transfer“. Shifting funds from one program to another in the same appropriation account is a “reprogram“.
Also see: Expired Account / Expired Appropriation Account (CongressionalGlossary.com); Earmarking / Earmarks; Chapter 7. Legislating in Congress: Federal Budget Process, in Congressional Deskbook; The Federal Budget Process; Chapter 7. The Congressional Budget and Other Special Cases in Congressional Procedure.
- House Committee On Appropriations
- Senate Committee on Appropriations
- “Overview of the Authorization-Appropriation Process,” CRS Report RS20371 (5-page PDF)
- “Defense Authorization and Appropriations Bills: FY1970-FY2017,” CRS Report 98-756 (34-page PDF)
- “Mandatory Spending Since 1962,” CRS Report RL33074 (23-page PDF)
- “The Congressional Appropriations Process: An Introduction,” CRS Report 97-684 (30-page PDF)
- “Transfer and Reprogramming of Appropriations: An Overview of Authorities, Limitations, and Procedures,” CRS Report R43098 (36-page PDF)
- Principles of Federal Appropriations Law, GAO’s Red Book – GAO
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Congressional Operations Poster, with Federal Budget Process Flowchart
- Federal Budgeting, a Five-Course series on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
The Federal Budget Process 2E
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™