Adjourn for More than Three Days
Three Princesses found at MegaCon 2010 in Orlando, Florida. By Sam Howzit
Under the Constitution (Article. I. Section. 5.), neither chamber may adjourn for more than three days without the approval of the other. Such approval is obtained in a concurrent resolution approved by both chambers.
From House Practice: A Guide to the Rules, Precedents and Procedures of the House, Chapter 1. Adjournment, B. Adjournments for More Than Three Days:
The consent of both Houses is required even when the adjournment is sought by only one House. Manual § 84. In calculating the three days, either the day of adjourning or the day of meeting (excluding Sundays) must be taken into the count. Manual § 83; 5 Hinds § 6673. Thus, the House can adjourn by motion from Thursday to Monday, or from Friday to Tuesday, because Sunday is a dies non. However, it cannot, for example, adjourn from Monday to Friday without the Senate’s assent. Consistent with this requirement, the House has authorized the Speaker to declare the House in recesses subject to calls of the Chair during discrete periods, each not more than three days. Manual § 83. Adjournments for more than three days are provided for by concurrent resolution. The resolution may provide for the adjournment of one House or of both Houses. Manual § 84. Senate concurrent resolutions for adjournment are laid before the House by the Speaker as privileged. 101-1, Mar. 16, 1989, p 4480. Whether originating in the House or Senate, such concurrent resolutions are not debatable and require a quorum for adoption. Manual § 84. The concurrent resolution is generally offered by the Majority Leader or a designee.
The resolution may set forth the times at which the adjournment is to begin and end, but frequently the resolution will provide optional dates so as to give each House some discretion in determining the exact period of adjournment. Manual § 84. Recent resolutions have provided for one period of adjournment of the House and a different period for the Senate. Thus, the resolution may provide for an adjournment of the House for more than three days to a day certain, and a recess of the Senate for more than three days to a day certain as subsequently determined by the Senate before recessing.
Sen. Sasse to President Trump on making recess appointment: “Forget about it.” (C-SPAN)
- Chapter 2.G. Concurrent Resolutions; Chapter 8.J. Recess and Adjournment in Congressional Procedure
- Adjournment Sine Die
- Pro Forma Session
- Terms and Sessions of Congress
- Congressional Procedure, Chapter 1. D. Congressional Terms
- “Commonly Used Motions and Requests in the House of Representatives,” CRS Report RL32207 (20-page PDF)
- “Voting and Quorum Procedures in the Senate,” CRS Report 96-452 (16-page PDF)
- “The Legislative Process on the Senate Floor: An Introduction,” CRS Report 96-548 (20-page PDF)
- “Sessions, Adjournments, and Recesses of Congress,” CRS Report R42977 (31-page PDF)
- “Recess Appointments: Frequently Asked Questions,” CRS Report RS21308 (16-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™