From the Congressional Glossary – Including Legislative and Budget Terms
Adjournment to a Day and Time Certain
photo credit: Brett Jordan
Adjournment to a Day and Time Certain is adjournment under a motion or resolution that fixes the next time of meeting for one chamber or both chambers. Under the Constitution, neither chamber can adjourn for more than three days without the concurrence of the other. A session of Congress is not ended by adjournment to a day certain.
- Chapter 8.J. Recess and Adjournment in Congressional Procedure
- Adjourn for More than Three Days
- Adjournment Sine Die
- Terms and Sessions of Congress
- Congressional Procedure
- Table Showing the Terms of Congress from 1789 to Present – HobnobBlog
- “The First Day of a New Congress: A Guide to Proceedings on the Senate Floor,” CRS Report RS20722 (14-page PDF)
- “The First Day of a New Congress: A Guide to Proceedings on the House Floor,” CRS Report RL30725 (20-page PDF)
- “Reorganization of the House of Representatives: Modern Reform Efforts,” CRS Report RL31835 (75-page PDF)
- “Reorganization of the Senate: Modern Reform Efforts,” CRS Report RL32112 (45-page PDF)
- “Lame Duck Sessions of Congress, 1935-2004 (74th-108th Congresses),” CRS Report RL33677 (39-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™