Amendment in the Nature of a Substitute / Committee Substitute
Full Committee Markup: FY 2018 Defense & Legislative Branch Appropriations Bill
Amendment in the Nature of a Substitute: Usually an amendment that seeks to replace the entire text of a bill. Passage of this type of amendment strikes out everything after the enacting clause and inserts a new version of the bill. An amendment in the nature of a substitute can also refer to an amendment that replaces a large portion of the text of a bill.
Committee Substitute: Short for committee amendment in the nature of a substitute.
January 22, 2009 Markup – Amendment in the Nature of a Substitute
- Amendment / “Bigger Bite” Amendment (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Amendment Tree / Filling the Tree (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Amendments Between the Houses (Chambers) / Insist / Amendments in Disagreement / Amendments in Technical Disagreement CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Chapter 3.G. Reporting Legislation to the Floor in Congressional Procedure
- “Amendments Between the Houses: Procedural Options and Effects,” CRS Report R41003 (40-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markup,” CRS Report R41083 (220-page PDF)
- “Congressional Budget Resolutions: Historical Information,” CRS Report RL30297 (47-page PDF)
- “Conference Committee and Related Procedures: An Introduction,” CRS Report 96-708 (14-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markups: Manual of Procedures and Procedural Strategies,” CRS Report R41083 (220-page PDF)
- “Resolving Legislative Differences in the Congress: Conference Committees and Amendments Between the Houses,” CRS Report 98-696 (40-page PDF)
- “Defense Authorization and Appropriations Bills: FY1961-FY2018,” CRS Report 98-756 (37-page PDF)
Chairman’s Amendment in the Nature of a Substitute to the Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our on-site training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, 874-4, for custom on-site training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™