Expenditure / Tax Expenditure
photo credit: 401K
Expenditure: The actual spending of money; an outlay.
Tax Expenditure: Loss of revenue attributable to an exemption, deduction, preference, or other exclusion under federal tax law.
What are tax expenditures?
- “Government Spending” – Wikipedia
- Chapter 7.C. The Congressional Budget Resolution; Chapter 7.K. Earmarks; in Congressional Procedure
- “Spending and Tax Expenditures: Distinctions and Major Programs,” CRS Report R44530 (21-page PDF)
- “Health-Related Tax Expenditures: Overview and Analysis,” CRS Report R44333 (21-page PDF)
- “Tax Expenditures and the Federal Budget,” CRS Report RL34622 (20-page PDF)
- “Social Services Block Grant: Background and Funding,” CRS Report 94-953 (35-page PDF)
- “An Analysis of the Geographic Distribution of the Mortgage Interest Deduction,” CRS Report R43385 (27-page PDF)
- “Itemized Tax Deductions for Individuals: Data Analysis,” CRS Report R43012 (17-page PDF)
Tax Expenditure Basics
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Congressional Operations Poster, with Federal Budget Process Flowchart
- Federal Budgeting, a Five-Course series on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
The Federal Budget Process 2E
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™