From the Congressional Glossary – Including Legislative and Budget Terms
Open space in front of the House chamber between members’ seats and the podium. Members in the House may speak from lecterns in the well.
A censure resolution requires the member to go to the well of the House, where the presiding officer, normally the speaker, reads aloud the resolution of censure.
House Votes to Censure Rep. Charles Rangel
- A Note About Usage: “Congress”
- Congress Seating Charts
- Floor / Aisle / Candy Desk / Gallery
- Seniority / Junior Senator / Senior Senator
- § 6.113, Who Is Allowed on the House Floor? and § 6.192 Who Is Allowed on the Senate Floor? § 11.11, House Floor Plan, § 11.21, Senate Seating Chart, in Congressional Deskbook
- Chapter 2.J. Submitting Legislation; in Congressional Procedure
- “Guide to Individuals Seated on the House,” CRS Report 98-396 (7-page PDF)
- “The First Day of a New Congress: A Guide to Proceedings on the House Floor,” CRS Report RL30725 (20-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Preparing and Delivering Congressional Testimony and Oral Presentations a Five-Course series on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series a Nine-Course series on CD
Testifying Before Congress
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™