This is a non-legislative calendar in the Senate on which executive business, presidential documents such as treaties and nominations are listed. The Senate’s Executive Calendar (PDF) is updated each day the Senate is in session. The executive calendar identifies executive resolutions, treaties, and nominations reported out by Senate committees and awaiting Senate floor action. The Executive Calendar is composed of eight sections:
- Cover/Unanimous Consent Agreements: This section identifies the title and date of the latest Executive Calendar. It also displays the text of any unanimous consent agreements that shall govern Senate action on specific items of Executive business.
- Resolutions: This section identifies Senate resolutions pertaining to Executive business, placed on the Executive Calendar with a sequentially assigned calendar number and ready for Senate floor consideration.
- Treaties: This section identifies Treaties submitted by the President to the Senate for ratification, placed on the Executive Calendar with a sequentially assigned calendar number and ready for Senate floor consideration.
- Nominations: This section identifies Presidential Nominations submitted to the Senate for confirmation, placed on the Executive Calendar with a sequentially assigned calendar number and ready for Senate floor consideration.
- Nominations Placed on Secretary’s Desk: This section identifies routine nomination lists, previously printed in the Congressional Record, placed on the Secretary’s desk for the information of Senators while awaiting floor action.
- Privileged Nominations: This section lists routine nominations which are entitled to expedited procedures.
- Notices of intent to object: This section identifies objections to unanimous consents to proceed to nominations or treaties.
- Motions for reconsideration: This section contains motions for reconsideration, not yet acted on.
Also see § 6.180, Senate Calendars and Legislative and Executive Business before the Senate, in Congressional Deskbook.
Senate Rule 22: Executive Nominations and the Role of Debate
- “The Senate’s Executive Calendar,” CRS Report 98-438 (6-page PDF)
- “Senate Executive Business and the Executive Calendar,” CRS Report 98-709 (4-page PDF)
- “Senate Consideration of Presidential Nominations: Committee and Floor Procedure,” CRS Report RL31980 (17-page PDF)
- “How Measures Are Brought to the Senate Floor: A Brief Introduction,” CRS Report RS20668 (10-page PDF)
- “Motions to Proceed to Consider Measures in the Senate: Who Offers Them?” CRS Report RS21255 (19-page PDF)
- “Senate Standing Committees’ Rules on Legislative Activities and Executive Business: Analysis for the 113th Congress,” CRS Report R43799 (97-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our on-site training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, 874-4, for custom on-site training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™