Box attached to the House clerk’s desk where members place bills and resolutions to introduce them. Also called “bill hopper.” The term derives from a funnel-shaped storage bin filled from the top and emptied from the bottom, often used to house grain or coal. Bills are retrieved from the hopper and referred to committees with the appropriate jurisdiction.
- Chapter 11. Legislative Research: Viewing and Visiting Congress, in Congressional Deskbook
- “Introduction to the Legislative Process in the U.S. Congress,” CRS Report R42843 (10-page PDF)
- “Guide to Individuals Seated on the House Dais,” CRS Report 98-396 (7-page PDF)
- “Resolutions of Inquiry: An Analysis of Their Use in the House, 1947-2017,” CRS Report R40879 (86-page PDF)
- Chapter 2.J. Submitting Legislation in Congressional Procedure
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™