K Street / Gucci Gulch
Colloquialisms for Washington, DC, lobbyists.
K Street is taken from K Street NW in Washington, DC, where many lobbying firms are located. K Street is definitely “inside the Beltway.”
Pork Party House: Where DC insiders go for taxpayer-subsidized fun
Gucci Gulch has several meanings: K Street; all lobbyists collectively; and “the nickname for the corridor outside the hearing room of the United States Senate Finance Committee … where the nation’s smoothest and most highly paid lobbyists, dressed in expensive suits and shiny Italian shoes, await decisions on legislation that will mean millions and sometimes billions to their clients.” (description from a review of “Showdown at Gucci Gulch” by Jeffrey Birnbaum and Alan Murray.) Also see “Shakedown at Gucci Gulch: A Tale of Death, Money & Taxes,” by Edward J. McCaffery and Linda R. Cohen.
- Lobby / Lobbying (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Capitol / Capitol Hill Map / National Mall (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Petition (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Pennsylvania Avenue (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Lobbying and Advocacy
- STOCK Act / Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge Act (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Crony Capitalism / Rent-Seeking / Corporate Welfare / Revolving Door (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- In Washington, a divided America is good for business.
- “The seven stages of the office seeker”
- The First Amendment
- K Street – Wikipedia
- K Street – Google Maps
- “K Street’s talent scout,” by Rachel Leven, The Hill, January 31, 2012
- “K Street: The route of all evil, or just the main drag?” by Dan Zak, The Washington Post, February 5, 2012
- What is a ‘Revolving Door’ – Investopedia
- “Gucci Gulch Can’t Hold All Lobbyists Engaged in Tax Fight,” Roll Call, November 2, 2017
- Revolving Door, from OpenSecrets
- “Prosecution of Public Corruption: An Overview of Amendments Under H.R. 2572 and S. 401,” CRS Report R42016 (29-page PDF)
- “Expulsion of Members of Congress: Legal Authority and Historical Practice,” CRS Report R45078 (28-page PDF)
What is Crony Capitalism?
See Willy Bays for Crony Clean
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom Training
- Preparing and Delivering Congressional Testimony and Oral Presentations, a Five-Course series on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Showdown at Gucci Gulch:
Lawmakers, Lobbyists, and the Unlikely Triumph of Tax Reform
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
The Federal Budget Process
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™