The Majority Leader is elected by her party colleagues. In the Senate, the Majority Leader, in collaboration with the Minority Leader, directs the legislation schedule for the Senate. Each is her party’s spokesperson and chief strategist.
In the House, the Majority Leader is second to the Speaker in the majority party’s leadership, and serves as his party’s legislative strategist.
Hugh Hewitt interviews Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on MSNBC
- Congressional Leadership and Committees
- House Majority Leader
- Majority and Minority Leaders and Party Whips, Senate
- Senate Leadership, Senate
- Majority leader – Wikipedia
- “The Role of the House Majority Leader,” CRS Report RL30665 (20-page PDF)
- “Party Leaders in the House: Election, Duties, and Responsibilities,” CRS Report RS20881 (6-page PDF)
- “The Legislative Process on the Senate Floor: An Introduction,” CRS Report 96-548 (20-page PDF)
- “Lame Duck Sessions of Congress, 1935-2018 (74th-115th Congresses),” CRS Report R45154 (34-page PDF)
- “Congressional Membership and Appointment Authority to Advisory Commissions, Boards, and Groups,” CRS Report RL33313 (148-page PDF)
- “Party Leaders in the United States Congress, 1789-2017,” CRS Report RL30567 (xx-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™