Manual / Senate Manual / House Rules and Manual
Manual: The official handbook in each house prescribing in detail its organization, rules procedures and operations.
The Senate Manual, prepared during the second session of each Congress by the Senate Committee on Rules and Administration, contains the standing rules, orders, laws, and resolutions affecting the Senate, as well as copies of historical U.S. documents, such as Jefferson’s Manual, Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, Constitution of the United States, et cetera. and selected statistical information on the Senate and other Government entities. It is generally issued each Congress as Senate Document 1.
Are your $2 bills worth anything? clip from The Two Dollar Bill Documentary
The House Rules and Manual is published by the House Parliamentarian’s Office. This document is formally entitled Constitution, Jefferson’s Manual, and Rules of the House of Representatives and contains the fundamental source material for parliamentary procedure used in the House of Representatives and includes:
- Constitution of the United States
- Applicable provisions of Jefferson’s Manual
- Rules of the House
- Provisions of law and resolutions having the force of rules of the House
- Pertinent decisions of the Speakers and other presiding officers of the House and Committee of the Whole interpreting the rules and other procedural authority used in the House of Representatives.
Printed as a House Document, the Manual is usually authorized by House resolution at the end of a Congress for printing at the beginning of the following Congress. As such, the House document number reflects the Congress that authorized the printing although the cover page identifies the applicable Congress for the contents.
Also see § 10.40 Official Rules Publications of the House, § 10.50 Official Rules Publications of the Senate, in Congressional Deskbook.
- House Rules and Manual – Govinfo.gov
- House Rules and Manual – FDsys
- Senate Manual – Govinfo.gov
- Senate Manual – FDsys
- 2008 House Ethics Manual (456-page PDF) House Committee on Ethics
- “The seven stages of the office seeker“
- Frank / Franking Privilege (Congressional Glossary)
- Franking Information & Communication Forms – Committee on House Administration
- Senate Ethics Manual (S. Pub. 108-1) (542-page PDF) – Senate Ethics Committee
- Jefferson’s Manual – FDsys
- “Congressional Oversight Manual,” CRS Report RL30240 (114-page PDF)
- “House Rules Manual: Summary of Contents,” CRS Report 98-262 (6-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markups: Manual of Procedures and Procedural Strategies,” CRS Report R41083 (220-page PDF)
- “Resolving Legislative Differences in the Congress: Conference Committees and Amendments Between the Houses,” CRS Report 98-696 (40-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™