Marking Up A Bill / Markup
Going through the contents of a piece of legislation in committee or subcommittee to consider its provisions and proposed revisions to the language, and insert new sections and phraseology. If the bill is extensively amended, the committee’s version may be introduced as a separate bill, with a new number, before being considered by the full House or Senate.
The process by which congressional committees and subcommittees debate, amend, and rewrite proposed legislation. The connotation of a markup session is that the language of the original measure is analyzed line-by-line or section-by-section, and then marked up, i.e., changed or amended.
Full Committee Markup – April 13, 2011
- Chairman’s Mark / Staff Draft (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Clean Bill (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- § 5.80 Committees and Subcommittees, § 6.50 Committee Markup, § 6.90 Rules Committee and Special Rules, § 7.50 Congressional Budget Process, in Congressional Deskbook
- § 2.23 Hearings and Markups: Overview, in Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook
- Committee Markup in the U.S. House of Representatives
- Chapter 3.E. Committee Markups; Chapter 7.H. Appropriations; in Congressional Procedure
- Congressional Procedure, Chapter 3. E. Markups
- “The Committee Markup Process in the House of Representatives,” CRS Report RL30244 (29-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markups: Manual of Procedures and Procedural Strategies,” CRS Report R41083 (220-page PDF)
- “Preparation for Senate Committee Markup,” CRS Report 98-243 (5-page PDF)
- “Markup in Senate Committee,” CRS Report 98-245 (4-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markup: Reporting,” CRS Report 98-267 (7-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markup: Preparation,” CRS Report 98-168 (7-page PDF)
- “House Committee Markup: Amendment Procedure,” CRS Report 98-335 (7-page PDF)
- “House Rules Governing Committee Markup Procedures,” CRS Report 98-312 (4-page PDF)
- “The Basics of Committee Markups,” Parliamentary Boot Camp (4-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™