Floor leader and chief spokesperson for the minority party in each chamber, elected by the members of that party. The minority leader is also responsible for devising the chamber’s minority party political and procedural strategy.
Also see Majority Whip; § 5.50 Party Leadership, § 5.60 House Leadership, § 5.70, Senate Leadership, in Congressional Deskbook.; Chapter 1.F. House of Representatives, Chapter 1.G. Senate, in Congressional Procedure.
Congressional Leadership: Crash Course Government and Politics #8
- Congressional Leadership and Committees
- Congress by the Numbers
- Majority and Minority Leaders – Senate
- Minority Leaders of the House (1899 to present) – House
- “Party Leaders in the House: Election, Duties, and Responsibilities,” CRS Report RS20881 (6-page PDF)
- “Senate Leadership Structure: Overview of Party Organization,” CRS Report RS20933 (3-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our on-site training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, 874-4, for custom on-site training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™