From the Congressional Glossary – Including Legislative and Budget Terms
In the House or Senate chamber, a request by a member to institute any of a wide array of parliamentary actions. The member “moves” for a certain procedure, such as the consideration of a measure. The precedence of motions, and whether they are debatable, is set forth in the House and Senate manuals.
- Motion to Recommit / Recommit to Committee / Table / Lay on the Table (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Reconsider a Vote / Motion to Reconsider (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Calendar of Motions to Discharge Committees (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- § 6.140 House Floor: Motion to Recommit and Final Passage, § 6.200 Time Agreements and Motions to Proceed on the Senate Floor, § 6.240 Senate Floor: Motion to Reconsider and Final Passage, in Congressional Deskbook
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™