From the Congressional Glossary – Including Legislative and Budget Terms
“Must Pass” Bill
A vitally important measure that Congress must enact, such as annual money bills to fund operations of the government. Because of their must-pass quality, these measures often attract “riders” (unrelated policy provisos).
Members of the House and Senate announced on Monday that they have decided to strip a provision from the final version of a must-pass defense policy bill that reinstates stiff penalties on Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE.
“Congress won’t reinstate stiff penalties on Chinese telecom giant ZTE,” by Aris Folley, The Hill, July 24, 2018
- Bills / Measure / Passed (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Rider (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- § 6.122, Basic House Amendment Tree, and § 6.220, Senate Amendment Procedure, in Congressional Deskbook
- “Continuity of Congress: Enacted and Proposed Federal Statutes for Expedited Election to the House in Extraordinary Circumstances,” CRS Report RL32958 (16-page PDF)
- “Points of Order Limiting the Contents of Reconciliation Legislation: In Brief,” CRS Report R43885 (7-page PDF)
- “Fiscal Year 2018 National Defense Authorization Act,” CRS Report R45013 (52-page PDF)
- “Fiscal Year 2018 National Defense Authorization Act: Selected Military Personnel Issues,” CRS Report R44923 (26-page PDF)
- “Select Acquisition Reform Provisions in the House and Senate Versions of the Fiscal Year 2018 National Defense Authorization Act,” CRS Report R44920 (14-page PDF)
- “Defense Procurement: Full Funding Policy — Background, Issues, and Options for Congress,” CRS Report RL31404 (78-page PDF)
Funding the Government: The Budget Process and Omnibus Spending Bills
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™