From the Congressional Glossary – Including Legislative and Budget Terms
A session of Congress after it has adjourned sine die, completing its regular session. The president convenes special sessions (Article. II. Section. 3.).
Also see Lame Duck; Terms of Congress; § 5.30, Terms and Sessions of Congress, in Congressional Deskbook.
US Congress Special Session (1937)
- Table Showing the Terms of Congress from 1789 to Present – HobnobBlog
- Senate Rule XVIII (18). Business Continued from Session to Session
- Special session – Wikipedia
- “Availability of Legislative Measures in the House of Representatives (The “72-Hour Rule”),” CRS Report RS22015 (11-page PDF)
- “Lame Duck Sessions of Congress, 1935-2004 (74th-108th Congresses),” CRS Report RL33677 (39-page PDF)
- “Presidential Transitions: Issues Involving Outgoing and Incoming Administrations,” CRS Report RL34722 (56-page PDF)
- “Informing Congress: The Role of the Executive in Times of War and Military Conflict, 1941-2001,” CRS Report RL31526 (60-page PDF)
- “The First Year: Assessments of Cooperation Between Newly Elected Presidents and Congress,” CRS Report RL30823 (32-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™