Under the Constitution (Article I, Section 3), the vice president serves as President of the Senate. He may vote in the Senate in the case of a tie but is not required to. The President Pro Tempore (and others designated by him) usually perform these duties during the vice president’s frequent absences from the Senate.
Also see President of the Senate / President Pro Tempore; A Note About Usage: ‘Congress’; Presiding Officer; § 5.70, Senate Leadership, and § 6.210, Consideration and Debate on the Senate Floor, in Congressional Deskbook.
- Vice President of the United States (President of the Senate) – U.S. Senate
- Vice President of the United States – Wikipedia
- Congressional Leadership and Committees
- “Contingent Election of the President and Vice President by Congress: Perspectives and Contemporary Analysis,” CRS Report R40504 (24-page PDF)
- “Walker v. Cheney: Statutory and Constitutional Issues Arising From the General Accounting Office’s Suit Against the Vice President,” CRS Report RL31397 (22-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Preparing and Delivering Congressional Testimony and Oral Presentations, a Five-Course series on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Testifying Before Congress
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™