From the Congressional Glossary – Including Legislative and Budget Terms
Unless rules specify otherwise, the Senate may agree to any question by a majority of senators voting, if a quorum is present. The Chair puts each question by voice vote unless the “yeas and nays” are requested, in which case a roll call vote occurs. Article. I. Section. 7.
Vote, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.
– Ambrose Bierce, The Devils Dictionary
Also see Voice Vote; § 6.80, House Floor: Methods of Consideration, § 6.130, House Floor: Voting, § 6.250 Voting in the Senate, in Congressional Deskbook.
House Passes Senate Health Care Bill
- Senate Rule XII. Voting Procedure, Wikipedia
- House Rule I. The Speaker
- “Voting and Quorum Procedures in the Senate,” CRS Report 96-452 (16-page PDF)
- “House Voting Procedures: Forms and Requirements,” CRS Report 98-228 (9-page PDF)
- “Voting in the Senate: Forms and Requirements,” CRS Report 98-227 (3-page PDF)
- “Ordering a Rollcall Vote in the Senate,” CRS Report RS20199 (5-page PDF)
- “Constitutional Considerations of Remote Voting In Congress,” CRS Legal Sidebar LSB10447, April 14, 2020 (7-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Drafting Effective Federal Legislation and Amendments in a Nutshell, Audio Course on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
Legislative Drafter’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™