This Week in Reviews - November 25, 2005 Archives
This Week in Reviews - November 25, 2005
Periodically, we will publish This Week in Reviews, a roundup of reviews of DC-area restaurants, with quick links to DC-area restaurant reviews and mentions from the previous seven days in blogs, magazines, and newspapers.
- a capitol life had a very bad experience at Tabaq ... "I have NEVER been abused the way I was tonight, with my mother no less." ... previous review by dcist (TWIR, November November 18, 2005) ...
- the kitchenette is excited about Elevation Burger ... "absolute bliss in a bun. Despite the inconvenient location for an urban student, I might just have to trek to East Falls Church and take the mile-long Metro bus ride from the station on a regular basis. And by regular basis, I mean all the time. That burger hit the spot like no other has in a long time. And incredibly cheap! Less than three bucks." ... that's an endorsement ... (Tarting It Up reviewed last week (TWIR, November 18, 2005)) ... 442 South Washington Street, Falls Church, VA [Chowhound | Don Rockwell]
- dcist also likes Elevation Burger ... "Every burger aficionado who proclaims the local favorite king owes Elevation Burger a shot." ...
- Tarting It Up had a late brunch at Artie's ... "Ho hum. This tasted like hotel luncheon food" ... 3260 Old Lee Highway, near Route 50, Fairfax, VA, 703-273-7600 [Washingtonian | WaPo | City Paper | openlist]
- Metrocurean says the "muffulettas, though not winning points for authenticity, weren't half bad" at Open City ... 2331 Calvert Street NW, Washington, DC, 202-332-2331 [WaPo | Don Rockwell]
- dcfud had trouble finding Sette Bello ... "I had a bit of trouble finding the entrance, which is not actually on Wilson Blvd., but on Highland Street.... It is more or less directly across the street from the Clarendon Metro, which makes it super-convenient." ... had "tuna tartare with fennel and jalapenos [which] was really good - fresh, sweet and tangy...I am a sucker for fennel." ... for dessert had the the gianduiotto alle nocciole: " Is. A. Bloody. Good. Dessert. Chocolate, nuttiness, and some more chocolate." ... "Nothing I had was not good, and some of it (the cappelli, the gianduiotto) was excellent." ... (Tom Sietsema reviewed (TWIR, November 11, 2005)) ... [3101 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA, 703-351-1004 WaPo | Don Rockwell]
- a capitol life writes: "My real weakness is Bahn Mi sandwiches though. I started going to Song Que years ago, ordering the grilled pork sandwiches before I knew they were called Bahn Mi. Often ordering an avocado shake to go with my sandwich, I always felt like I had a little secret." ... we love the # 8 sandwich and the coconut bubble drink at Song Que, and we usually get 6 fried spring rolls at the bakery 3 doors down ... in Eden Center, 6773 Wilson Blvd., Falls Church, VA, 703-536-7900 ... [Washingtonian] ... and says the fried catfish sandwich at The Argonaut "was flaky on the inside and had a crisp cornmeal crust, making it an awesome sandwich." ... "Best dish, fries and gravy. Oh mamma! An honorable mention goes to the grilled chicken salad, a bargain at $5." ... 1433 H Street NE, Washington, DC 202-397-1416 [WaPo]
- Tom Sietsema gave 2 stars to Zest, which moved last summer ... "the trembling corn custard perched on a latticelike doily of fried potatoe ... [is a] simultaneously soothing and elegant presentation." ... and says about the fried chicken: "If Michelin were evaluating just this entree, the famous French guide would surely write it up as "worth a detour."" ... 200 South Market St., Frederick, MD, 301-620-7480 [Washingtonian | openlist]
- DC Food Blog likes Los Tios in Alexandria ... and so do we ... the chips and salsa are very good ... "The guacamole appetizer was a hit for four guacamole lovers" ... chicken fajitas delciios ... and liked the "special hot sauce that was as delicious as it was powerfully hot. A mix of citrus, jalapeno, habanero, and cilantro, it provided one hell of a punch but was not too painful considering its potential." ...we can vouch that it is excellent ... Los Tios has a good web site ... 2615 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA, 703-299-9290 [Chowhound | Don Rockwell]
Did we miss your favorite review?
Let us know: hobnobblog -at- gmail.com ... we're especially interested in hearing from DC bloggers ...
November 25, 2005 12:40 PM Dining
TrackBack URL for this entry: