Yield the Floor
photo credit: dno1967b
Senate: A senator who has been recognized to speak yields the floor when she completes her remarks and terminates her recognition.
FILIBUSTER – SEN. PAUL YIELDS THE FLOOR
House: In certain procedural circumstances, most often when the House is amending legislation under an “open” special rule, legislators instead seek recognition to speak, usually for up to five minutes, directly from the presiding officer. A member of the House who has been recognized can yield to another during debate, but continues to hold the floor; and the time used by the member yielded to is taken from the time allocated to the member holding the floor.
- “Debate and Motions on the House Floor,” CRS Report 98-827 (6-page PDF)
- “Speaking on the House Floor: Gaining Time and Parliamentary Phraseology,” CRS Report RS22991 (11-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom, On-Site Training
- Preparing and Delivering Congressional Testimony and Oral Presentations, Five-Course Capitol Learning Audio CD
- “Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series” a Nine-Course series on CD
Testifying Before Congress
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our on-site training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, 874-4, for custom on-site training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™