“Christmas Tree” Bill
“Christmas Tree” Bill: Informal nomenclature / jargon for a bill containing many riders / amendments unrelated, i.e, nongermane, to the bill’s subjects; usually refers to Senate measures. A bill on the Senate floor that attracts many, often unrelated, floor amendments. The amendments that adorn the bill may provide special benefits to various groups or interests, which may make the adorned bill easier to pass.
- Nongermane Amendment (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- Rider (CongressionalGlossary.com)
- § 6.220, Senate Amendment Procedure, in Congressional Deskbook
2017 U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Christmas tree bill – Wikipedia
- “Christmas Tree Tax Exemption Act,” H.R.4205 (114th Congress)
- “Introduction to the Legislative Process in the U.S. Congress,” CRS Report R42843 (18-page PDF)
- “Senate Committee Rules in the 115th Congress: Key Provisions,” CRS Report R44901 (36-page PDF)
- “The Budget Reconciliation Process: Stages of Consideration,” CRS Report R44058 (16-page PDF)
- “The Amending Process in the Senate,” CRS Report 98-853 (38-page PDF)
- Congressional Operations Briefing – Capitol Hill Workshop
- Drafting Federal Legislation and Amendments
- Writing for Government and Business: Critical Thinking and Writing
- Custom Training
- Congressional Operations Poster, with Federal Budget Process Flowchart
- Federal Budgeting, a Five-Course series on CD
- Congress, the Legislative Process, and the Fundamentals of Lawmaking Series, a Nine-Course series on CD
The Federal Budget Process 2E
Citizen’s Handbook to Influencing Elected Officials: A Guide for Citizen Lobbyists and Grassroots Advocates
CongressionalGlossary.com, from TheCapitol.Net
For more than 40 years, TheCapitol.Net and its predecessor, Congressional Quarterly Executive Conferences, have been teaching professionals from government, military, business, and NGOs about the dynamics and operations of the legislative and executive branches and how to work with them.
Our custom on-site and online training, publications, and audio courses include congressional operations, legislative and budget process, communication and advocacy, media and public relations, testifying before Congress, research skills, legislative drafting, critical thinking and writing, and more.
TheCapitol.Net is on the GSA Schedule, MAS, for custom on-site and online training. GSA Contract GS02F0192X
TheCapitol.Net is a non-partisan small business.
Teaching how Washington and Congress work ™